Monday, January 30, 2012

ANC 50: Life records

163. If you could invent something, what would it be, and why? (University of Virginia)


Our world is developing day by day and our lives are getting better as time goes by. With many inventions making our life easier and more comfortable, any invention not having real effect of ease hardly get attention these days. 


But I would like to make an invention that is not related to developing our life. Rather, I would love to invent a machine that records one's life. We have devices such as camera and video recorder to savor our memories. But all the humorous, sad, interesting, embarrassing moments we've had in our lives are nowhere but only in our minds. Even the sad and embarrassing moments are funny when we think back on, yet we do not even have humorous moments of our lives recorded in such a way that we can remember them properly. 


The time when I was born, the way I looked and cried as a baby, how I played as a kid, where I went with friends and families, and how I learnt and put effort.. All of these to be recorded in one machine.. that someday I'll be able to watch these and smile like when I read my old journals. All the reason I want to make this life-recording machine is that I don't want to miss or forget any of the small moments I have had in my life because my life has been very interesting and challenging with happy and sad moments shared with my friends and family. 

7 comments:

  1. I really like the idea. It seems so ... "Posh". I would want to look back into my life too.
    Your essay has answered the two questions in an interesting and in a 'mindly' manner.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it seems that you want to invent a machine that can record your emotions. Not a bad idea. I used to want to invent a way to record dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea, too! But as you have mentioned, there exist some ways to "record" someone's life: video tapes, pictures, and what is about music and writing? How deep and intense can that be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Bendix, I actually wanted to record the feelings. I can't exactly remember how I felt when I simply see a picture. Because picture only records not even a fraction of second of the moment I experienced something.
      I want to have a machine that makes me feel exactly the same way I felt during the incidents.

      Delete
  4. Recording emotions does sound really cool! When people talk about something funny, there are usually a few memories that keep playing in my mind. It would be nice to remember all the others that are hidden somewhere in my mind that i seem to have forgotten about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really cool idea! Perhaps you can show a few moments in your life that makes feel like "I wish I had a life/moment record machine".

    ReplyDelete
  6. This idea is really cool. But it does sort of destroys the purpose of life. Because somethings are just better in your mind. If we let technology into our memory or we just record our whole life it would be sad. Why? because those moments wont be cherished. We would just watch that moment again and again until that ecperience bores us. The idea is interesting but it seems to be just the sort of technology to destroy life.

    ReplyDelete