Wednesday, January 18, 2012

ANC 38: Desperateness

139. Spanish poet Antonio Machado wrote, “Between living and dreaming there is a third thing. Guess it.” Give us your guess. (U of Chicago)


Between living and dreaming, there's definitely one elaborate element: desperateness. It is like a bridge connecting living and dreaming. When there's desperateness, dreaming becomes true in living. 

I have always dreamed to join one of the top colleges in the world. Step by step, I learnt that I need to achieve small things first in order to make my dream come true in reality. However, my first blockade itself was such a hard one: language. The fact that I couldn't communicate with people was horrifying. I couldn't understand them nor could I express myself. But I didn't stop talking to people around me. I enacted with my body until they understood. And that was possible only because of my "desperateness" to convey my thoughts and opinions. With it, I saw myself stepping a little forward towards my dream.

And even now, I am in the process of approaching my dream, standing on this bridge closer to the living. But I believe that the fact blockades don't seem too difficult now is because my desperateness is growing as time passes. With not much time left, I realize how much more I need to work and how hard it is to get into a top college.

Depending on the desperateness and the effort followed by it, one will succeed in freely crossing over the bridge between living and dreaming.  

No comments:

Post a Comment