Saturday, January 28, 2012

ANC 48: I don't know

133. French novelist Anatole France wrote: "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you don't." What don't you know? (Brown)


I agree strongly with Anatole France. The more I learn, the more I feel I do not know. 

In biology class, as I learn different functions of our body, I understand that different organisms have different genetic codes, different organ functions, different cell structures, and different ability to survive. But I wonder how different organisms evolved first of all and who made those genetic codes first of all. 

In Mathematics class, I develop my calculation skills, but I wonder who ever discovered such formulas and why they did so, and who made devices such as graphing calculators and how they are made. 

In Chemistry class, I wonder why there are different chemical substances found in the world, why some substances react and some don't, how some elements have isotopes while others don't. 

In English class, I wonder why there are so many different types of English used in different periods of time, why people wanted to classify English into British English and American English, how English became international language, and why the grammar and spellings are so complicated. 

And I wonder with such lack of knowledge if I'll ever be able to get into a college, if I'll be able to assimilate all the required information for my career, if I'll be able to pay for the fees first of all, and if I'll be able to survive in this society which seems to have corruption and satires developing day by day. 

And now I wonder if I know what I do not know because what I don't know will not be in my mind. I won't be even aware of the things I do not know. Now I wonder if this question really makes sense or not. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting essay. Perhaps an anecdote (where you have been in a situation where you realized what you didn't know?) would further strengthen your argument.

    ReplyDelete