Friday, January 6, 2012

ANC 26: Habit

57. Describe a personal habit that helps to define you as a person.


I have a bizarre habit considering that I am a Korean. The unique habit is staying barefoot at home. Even if it is cold winter, even if all other family members wear socks, and even if I come back after a short walk, I remove my socks immediately once home. It's very unusual for Koreans to stay barefooted because traditionally, staying barefoot meant the lifestyle of low-castes. Additionally, showing barefoot to adults was out of respect. So, gradually as habits, Koreans do not stay barefooted at home. 


As a matter of fact, I have my good reasons. During my stay in India since I was 8, I have stayed occasionally at villages with my mom to help poor people there. Over there, it was impossible to stay in socks. The socks would get wet due to morass everywhere since there were no asphalts on road. So, naturally, I started staying barefooted. And it has become my habit now. I feel more comfortable staying barefooted. If I am wearing socks, I feel as if I am wearing a guard's heavy clothes. 


My habit shows that I have become half Indian. But trust me, staying barefooted gives you the most comfort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment