Tuesday, January 17, 2012

ANC 37: Food made by heart

52. The subject of food is never far from our minds here in College Admissions. It is a topic of serious conversation this year on campus, too, with the publication of a book called The Hungry Soul: Eating and the Perfecting of our Nature, by Leon Kass, M.D., a Chicago faculty member who teaches in the College. The book takes a philosophical look at what food, eating, and table manners have to tell us about our human estate. Compose an essay about a memorable meal you have eaten. We are especially interested in the details: the occasion, your company at this meal, its physical setting, the kinds of foods you ate, or their preparation. (University of Chicago)

The pungent smell of Indian dish promoted my curiosity. With only one candlelight shone in the darkness, I could bearly see the face of the person handing me the food. I looked around to see how people around me ate. They mixed with their hands the white, flying rice with the brownish gravy called curry. As they ate, they licked and ingested their food in hands by the their tongues.

Looking at me, they raised their hand full of rice and curry towards me, simulating a gesture of asking me to eat quickly. I awkwardly smiled at them. With my hands, I mixed the food with curry and carried it towards my mouth with my right hand. Everyone was looking at me. Awkwardly, I pushed the food in my hands into my mouth. It was salty and completely "Indian taste." I smiled at people looking at me, who then continued to eat.

I felt the need to drink, so I quietly asked the lady in the kitchen if I could get some water. She said she'll not provide plain water to a foreign guest like me. When she came out of the kitchen, she held a lemon and a cup. She sat next to me. I guessed that she would make me lemon juice and was glad. But that happy thought of drinking lemon juice to quench my thirst disappeared at once when I saw her rolling the lemon on that dirty, cement floor. Then she cut the lemon into half and squeezed the lemon as if she was giving it a massage. The pure lemon juice filled the cup. After putting loads of sugar and water, she handed it to me, showing a big, broad smile.

I was here to show my love and share the good news of our savior. I knew the lady prepared all of this just to show her gratefulness and service to me. Though the substance inside the cup didn't look like lemon juice but a fluid out of yellow ball rolled on the cement floor and massaged with potter's hands, I drank it at once, showing my thumps up to the lady.

Surprisingly, the food tasted much better after that drink. It was much later when I realized that lemon helps in digestion. All the feelings of food stuck in my digestion tracts disappeared at once.

The food was, in fact, amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment