Thursday, December 1, 2011

Challenge 30: My name

150. Names have a mysterious reality of their own. We may well feel an unexpected kinship with someone who shares our name, or may feel uneasy at the thought that our name is not as much our own as we imagined. Most of us do not choose our names; they come to us unbidden, sometimes with ungainly sounds and spellings, complicated family histories, allusions to people we never knew. Sometimes we have to make our peace with them, sometimes we bask in our names' associations. Ruminate on names and naming, your name, and your name's relationship to you. (University of Chicago)


"Ye Jin!" 
Someone calls my name. I turn around to see who is looking for me. But I find out that the person is not calling me but another person whose name is also Ye Jin. Wherever I go, I experience this: among friends in Korea and among neighbors in India. I was totally fine with this until a student having my same name joined my school. I did not know that sharing same name was so annoying; people unknowingly sent my important mails to her, her teachers informed me several things through email, and I would hear my name being called by someone who I do not know but makes me look around. 


All Koreans have their names mean something in Chinese letters. Though names may sound the same, each syllable has different meanings. In my case, my name stands for "Artistic wisdom," with "Ye" meaning artistic or creative and "Jin" meaning wisdom or truth. There may be people with the same name and same meaning. However, there's something that makes my name unique and special: another hidden meaning. I was not named according to the meaning of Chinese letters; I was named according to the meaning of Christ Jesus. My name actually means Jesus' wisdom. The first part of my name is taken from the first sound of "Jesus'" in Korean (that is pronounced as Yesu), and the second part of it is taken from the first sound of "wisdom" in Korean (that is pronounced as Jinli). 


Considering all this meaning in my name, I am, in fact, very matchable to my own name. My name seems to be goal of my life; a good Christian who strives to achieve Jesus' wisdom through artistic, creative, and truthful ways. Every time someone calls me this name, I get reminded of who I am, and what I am to work for. Now it does not matter whether I hear my name being called by someone else to refer someone else, because my name will remain to be mine, because Ye Jin Kim is who I am and will be. 




No comments:

Post a Comment