Sunday, December 18, 2011

ANC 7: Change

113. Talk about how a person can change his direction.

Life is an adventure. No one knows the future. This ambiguity makes us think about all possible and impossible things even before we step into accepting changes. We can't figure out if the change is going to do us good or bad, so why worry for long? We accept change to figure out. The changes we accept may not make us happy; yet, we accept change hoping to be happy.

I remember when I had to accept change. When I was in second grade, my mom simply informed me that we would be going to India, a place that was then known to me as a dirty, undeveloped, Third World Country. the fact that I was to leave all the comfortable lifestyles in Korea to live in India just didn't seem to be a good change at any angle. Yet, I had to accept change hoping for the best.

My first day in India was yet another change. The hot, humid air I breathed in outside the aeroplane panicked me. As I looked around, I spotted Subway , a western restaurant found even in Korea. Like a tourist running towards an oasis in desert, I ran and grabbed a dish of Subway food. One bite. And I realized that even Subway demanded my acceptance for another change. Food in India was a totally a new change for me. The curry in my stomach adopted for years to only kinds of spicy Kimchi of Korea  made me feel sick. However, I had to accept change; I couldn't starve myself.

Every single day was a new change for me. And i did accept all those changes. I do not know if I accepted changes to be happy, but I know that I hoped to be happy by accepting changes. If I didn't accept the change of my location because I wasn't sure I would be happy, I probably wouldn't have been able to speak English as I do now and experience the world outside Korea. We need to accept change to move forward in our lives rather than worrying about changes at the same spot. As Shunryu Suzuki said, "without accepting the fact that everything changes, we cannot find perfect serenity."



No comments:

Post a Comment