Wednesday, December 14, 2011

ANC 3: Money

220. How money matters in your life

Money is something that cannot be classified into the two categories of things in this world, good and evil. Parents tell their children to study hard in order to succeed in life. According to many parents I know, success in life is earning lots of money through secure jobs after years of hardcore studying. Well, it is true that our standard of living is determined by amount of money we possess -- money to be exchanged to buy things required in our lives. Having lots of money does mean good, yet money opens to us many doors to paths that lead to evil such as gambling, stealing, cheating, and so on. I still don't know how much money is important, but there was an incident that completely convinced my mind about the power of money.

In a moving, beeping ambulance, I prayed for the safety of my mom, breathing hard with tears in her eyes. The heavy traffic wasn't allowing the ambulance to pass through so easily, and my heart thumped harder and harder along with the increasing speed of my mom's rough breathing. I called my mom's friend to quickly come and help us.

As soon as the ambulance reached the hospital, I ran to the emergency room, pointing at my mom, not able to say anything much. The relief to be in hospital didn't stay long in me. The nurses checked her state quickly and left my mom only with a plastic tube on her mouth. They said that would help my mom breathe. But my mom's face showed that she was having a harder time. I asked them to put oxygen mask immediately. To my surprise, their response was, "Please pay Rs. 2000, and we will give oxygen mask for her." In this life or death situation, people who are to "help the ones in pain" were demanding money. The most horrible part was this - I didn't have any money as I had to run empty-handed to the ambulance.

Things were magically solved when my mom's friend arrived with Rs. 2000, giving a wonderful reason for the nurses to finally get up and put oxygen mask on my mom's mouth. With the transaction of Rs. 2000, I saw my mom coming back to life, breathing smoothly ultimately.

Two thousand rupees. It doesn't seem like a big sum of money, but sometimes I guess it is even more important than a person's life. So, what do I think about money? It's something I should have no matter what whether I like it or not.





No comments:

Post a Comment