Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Challenge 29: Effort

131. Salt, government,s beliefs, and celebrity couple are a few examples of things that can be dissolved. You've just been granted the power to dissolve anything: physical, metaphorical, abstract, concrete ... you name it. What do you dissolve, and what solvent do you use? (U of Chicago)

I was a pretty smart kid. I used to score more than 90% in all my subjects in Korea when I was in elementary school. But things changed as I got to a new place, India, where the language, people, and facilities were different. All of these changes was a big influence to me; however, the impact of school studies in the new place influenced me the most. I failed in almost all my subjects except in maths. My world seemed to be a tunnel. I was not able to understand anything in class due to which I was not even aware that homework was given. Every day was a boring life of alien language. I tried to learn English for months and months, yet, my grades did not seem to improve. But I didn't give up. I kept on trying by taking advice from people; watch TV shows in English, read books, and listen to teachers in classes even though the language they speak may not be comprehensible. I spent days in classes, evenings in reading, and nights in memorizing vocabulary.

My works did not seem to be worthless. I could feel improvements in my listening and reading skills in English. I could speak and express more. Teachers in schools commented that I was indeed improving in academics as well as in socializing with English-speaking students. There were times I wanted to just start speaking in Korean, but I learnt to think before I say anything in English. Few months later, soon I realized that I was no more translating Korean to English in my head, instead, I spoke English naturally.

Learning another language in different circumstances is very hard. I failed to adjust due to the insolubility of hard circumstances. However, with better determination and solid effort, I dissolved the blockage of language.

No comments:

Post a Comment