Friday, November 25, 2011

Challenge 25: Travel alone

91. Please write about a life experience that has influenced your intellectual and personal growth. 


Travelling from India to Korea all alone at the age of 11 was a new experience that helped me grow. My mom was busy with her work in India, but I had to go to Korea because of my visa. I was really excited to travel alone but of course was worried a little bit. I had to transfer in Thailand since there were no straight flights from India to Korea. I was a little scared, however, I told my mom that I will be fine. 


And so was my first travel-alone experience. With my mom behind, I went through the door leading to security check-up. I filled up the forms carefully, checking my data in passport and going through the form again and again. Everything was really smooth, but I was worried about the transfer process since I wasn't fluent in English yet. 


To my surprise, transfer process was easier than I thought. I was able to communicate well enough that I even conveyed my preferences for window seats. In the flight from Thailand to Korea, I also made a friend. He was a college student studying in New Zealand and had visited Thailand to meet up with his friend. It was so funny to see his shocked response when I told him that I was in 6th grade. He had thought I was either in high school or in college. He gave me lots of information about colleges and society in New Zealand. 


It was a wonderful experience to travel alone; I learnt to be independent and be confident in situations, I got to know more about other country's culture and society, I gained information about colleges. My mom worried about me, and I worried about myself; but I learnt that until unless I tried, the worries will remain the same. However, once I go through the experience, I'll be confident to do it again as it is proved by me travelling alone everywhere now. 





No comments:

Post a Comment