Sunday, November 20, 2011

Challenge 20: Mind-detecting machine

162. If you could invent something, what would it be, and why? (University of Virginia)


As we live in a society, we experience things we don't want to. Through my lifetime -- though it is short compared to that of adults -- I realized that most of the time my worst experiences come from arguing. I know that in the book "Thank you for arguing," the author Jay Heinrichs suggests that arguments can bring good conclusions if you only know how to argue well. Well, it's true that arguments are good, but usually that's true only if you are rational enough while arguing. And to be honest, I'm not that type of person; I get into arguments depending on my mood. 


People have different opinions, and our community is made up of people. I come across times when I have totally different thoughts with others, and sometimes their opinions annoy me because they don't make any sense to me. I remember once I fought with my friend so badly about behavior towards teachers. My point was that we should sometimes go along with teachers' opinions even if their opinions seem not right to us while my friend's point was that we should not listen to teachers having different opinions from us. I guess I was so rigid about my opinion then when I was having argument with my friend because I knew that she would get into trouble if she kept on with her opinion of behavior towards teachers. I was so determined. Well, I'm not trying to prove here what's right and wrong. Honestly, now I think about it carefully, I feel both opinions have good reasons behind them. And, I should have respected and known these reasons behind my friend's opinion then before having an argument. 


Only if I knew what reasons and experiences are behind others' opinions, I wouldn't get into arguments; I would be able to understand their opinions and minds. If only I could invent a machine that detects other people's logic and reasoning in their minds, that makes one understand other people's moods, life will be much peaceful with more understanding. How I wish to invent such a machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment