Monday, November 21, 2011

Challenge 21: Telepathy

21. If you had the gift of telepathy, the ability to read other people’s minds, would you use this gift or not? Explain. (Middle East Technical University/93)


Will I use the ability to read other people's minds if I could? Well, duh, definitely, though I would prefer to say that I will use it "wisely." 


One day after coming back to my room from a long day, I had a big fight with my best friend roommate. As soon as I entered the room, I politely asked her if she could cook for me. She responded to me with no words, and I asked her several times after that thinking that she might have not heard me. After three times of asking her this favor, she went out of the room shutting the door really hard. Well, I didn't like the way she responded to me, of course; I became mad at her too.  Our attitude towards each other was really bad. We totally ignored each other; we stopped looking and talking to each other. This continued for three whole days until on the third day, when I realized that I really need to talk to her; I hated how I couldn't share my day with my best friend and be a good friend to her. This was what I did; I wrote a letter to her, apologizing about my attitude in the past three days and explaining what I didn't understand about her attitude. I tried my best to be honest and frank about what I felt during the past three days, whether it may annoy her or not. After reading the letter, she told me frankly as well that she was in a really bad mood that day because she had cooked for other friends during the day while I was gone, and they told her that she isn't good in cooking. She thought I was making fun of her after I heard the story from the others. 


It was ridiculous when I got to know everything; why she was angry with me. But I did not understand why we had fought over such a small thing. Only if we knew what was going on in each other's minds. I wouldn't have gone through three days of not talking to my best friend only if I had the ability to read others' minds. Perhaps, there might be times when it's better not to use such ability, but why not use it and avoid this kind of misunderstanding? After all, it's a "gift."  

No comments:

Post a Comment